Southside Planning District Commission assists the Virginia Department of Transportation with their Work Plan for our region. Activities include the following:
- Prepare and assist with Enhancement Grant applications.
- Assist VDOT and their consultants with the preparation of the Rural Long Range Transportation Plan.
- Assist VDOT with the collection of data relative to VTRANS Regional Performance Measures.
- Assist VDOT with the coordination of local review through the Rural Technical Committee (RTC) of the statewide draft Virginia Bike and Trail Map.
- Assist VDOT with the coordination of local review through the RTC of current and proposed Park and Ride Lots.
- Assist VDOT with the coordination of local review through the RTC of data and information related to the Statewide Multimodal Freight Study.
- Provide planning and technical assistance with Bike and Rails to Trails efforts and the implementation of the Tobacco Heritage Trail and other transportation related grants as needed.
- Provide other technical assistance including updating the PDC website; and, inventorying sidewalks in Halifax County using GIS and GPS equipment.
The Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) and the Southside Planning District Commission are partnering to evaluate the rural transportation system in the region and to recommend a range of transportation improvements that best satisfy existing and future transportation needs. This partnership will result in a regional plan that identifies needs based upon goals and objectives established by the region. Improving the transportation system remains vital to improving the quality of life and continued economic growth and prosperity in Virginia. Providing for the effective, safe and efficient movement of people and goods is a basic goal of all transportation programs in the Commonwealth of Virginia. This plan will ultimately be incorporated into Virginia’s 2035 State Highway Plan. The statewide highway plan is developed by VDOT to identify needs and recommend solutions for the Commonwealth’s interstate and primary highway systems.
Once completed, the regional transportation plan will be incorporated into Virginia’s 2035 State Highway Plan. The statewide highway plan is developed by (VDOT) to identify needs and recommend solutions for the Commonwealth’s Interstate and primary highway systems. The regional transportation plans serve as the building blocks for the State Highway Plan and are being developed in cooperation with planning district commissions throughout the Commonwealth. The plans will complement the transportation plans that currently exist for metropolitan areas of Virginia.